Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

A Letter to Marc Jacobs





I decided to write an imaginary letter to Marc Jacobs because after seeing his Marc by Marc Jacobs Fall collection I had so many questions going through my mind that only a letter seemed like it would capture how I feel about his Ready To Wear Show. His show, like Vera Wang’s show, had a surprising impact on me. Here, without further ado, is my letter to Marc Jacobs. All images are courtesy of Style.com

Dear Mr. Jacobs:

I want to express my thanks to your design team, Luella Bartlet and Katie Killier, for a very thought-provoking runway show during New York Fashion Week. The looks in the show made such a strong impression on me that after a week I can not get your collection out of my mind. I would like to first explain that I initially did not know how I felt about the looks in your show. I really had to let my thoughts simmer after what I had experienced. My first impression can be compared to how I typically feel after watching a great movie with a bad ending. Should a terrible ending ruin the whole movie experience? That describes how I felt about your show only in reverse. Let me further explain.

Several of the looks at the beginning of the show were so severe that I wondered what or who inspired your design team as they worked on this collection. You are generally the designer whom can be relied upon to present feminine garments with a quirky touch. The cut of the shirts and the drape of the pants in your collection screamed tomboy ninja to me not quirky chic.

I was also completely distracted by the huge belt associated with each look. The belt has seat belt-like qualities; however, upon consideration I realized I was happy that you decided to define the waist. This decision at least injected some femininity into the militant-type looks that came across the runway. I came to the conclusion that after seeing these militant-like looks that I did not like this collection. This decision turned out to be erroneous. 



An awakening occurred when I spotted the silver metallic dress on the runway. The Bunny Hop lingo on the dress gave the frock a certain vintage quality that was completely contrary to the modern texture of the dress. It is rather odd that I would like this look. Only a woman who had to toss on the first garments she came across in her closet to escape a burning building would wear this outfit. I believe what sold me was the realization that it is the separate pieces that made up these looks that are so appealing. Your design duo was going for a completely commercial look with this collection weren’t they Mr. Jacobs?



I felt that both Luella Bartlet and Katie Killier were both winking at the audience. Did they predict the amount of buzz that would be generated by this collection? The sporty touches in this collection were superb. I am sure you had a line of buyers ready to purchase the print sports-like jerseys and the grey color-blocked sweater in the collection. The BMX footwear the models wore throughout the show was also completely hip and quite unexpected. Mr. Jacobs, I think you may have expanded your customer-base with this collection. Are you trying to appeal to young affluent hipsters?




You also, like so many other designers, included plaid pieces in your collection that are so attractive to the hip set right now. Plaid is rad after all and the 90s is where it’s at right now. I really love the looks in which the plaid tops were paired with shiny pencil skirts. Did you and your team include pencil skirts in the collection to balance out those severe militant-type looks at the beginning of the show? Whatever your reasons, I really would like to own one of those pencil skirts.


I also have an attachment to the bowed capes in the collection. They are so charming. It is almost like Luella Bartlet and Katie Killier believe that they had to overcompensate for the heavy doses of testosterone-like looks that were on display earlier during the runway show. I want to tie all of my capes into a bow now but I suppose if I did that I might look like a fish out of water.



I also like the tulle skirts in your collection. I have read several reviews and the consensus is that the tulle skirts in your collection look Halloween-worthy. I don’t care. They suit me. I believe I have been in a gothic mood since I saw Vera Wang’s collection. Both of you are my picks for the most unexpected looks. I really appreciate that both of you took chances with your collections. I love the experimentation aspects of your collection.






Before I conclude, I want to compliment you on the beautiful handbags in the collection. I am positive that they will fly off of the store shelves as is typical of your handbag collections. I especially love how, in a few of your looks, you matched the bags to the print tops. They really complemented each other.

Mr. Jacobs you have created a commercial collection that I suspect will be wildly successful for you. You must have browsed street-style blogs prior to creating your collection because you have your fingers on the pulse of what is hot.

I loved your show and look forward to your next endeavors.

Sincerely,
 
Sharon Pate

 
Thanks for reading my post. For those of you that follow my blog many, many thanks.

I look forward to comments and always respond to them so I hope you share your thoughts with me. 

Please contact me by e-mail at sharon_pate@att.net for questions and inquiries.

64 comments:

  1. I love Marc Jacobs and his looks a lot!!! Wonderful post.

    ♥ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Stella. There was quite an uproar over his Marc by Marc Jacobs collection. It will be interesting to find out if sales' expectations are met. I really like several of the separates in the collection so I am hoping for the best. The handbags were also really cute.

      Sharon

      Delete
  2. I adore Marc Jacobs, his collections are always creative, inspiring and amazing!

    crafty-zone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This collection had a definite wow factor after I got over the initial shock of the first few pieces. He is a visionary. I think he is going to take his brands even more into the stratosphere of success.

      Sharon

      Delete
  3. Great and adorable collection honey. Love Marc Jacobs
    Have a sweet week
    Kisses
    The Indian Savage diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Margaret. Enjoy your week too.

      Sharon

      Delete
  4. Love the images you picked out for Marc Jacobs. I adore his design philosophy!

    http://egohblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. He remains ever inventive and surprising.

      Sharon

      Delete
  5. clothes are so pretty :) models are so pretty :) but i think that prices of this pretty clothes isnt so pretty :D :D btw nice selection :)
    i need still some cliks on sheinside wishlist u can help me i ll be so happy if u can ,thank u:*
    http://zielonoma.blogspot.it/2014/02/spring-with-sheinside-shop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the prices. Many of the looks can be recreated with budget-friendly pieces from retailers. I just enjoy viewing couture collections. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Sharon

      Delete
  6. All is beautiful ! great collection
    bisous
    Ann'so M

    http://annsom.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is really creative. Thanks for visiting.

      Sharon

      Delete
  7. Lovelyyy Blog <3
    Follow me Via GFc, Facebook, Bloglovin & twitter & I promise I will follow you back :)
    ...
    Blog: www.arbbeautyblog.blogspot.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/ARBBlogofficial
    Twitter : www.twitter.com/arubakhan23
    Bloglovin : www.bloglovin.com/blog/5376301

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Aruba:

      Thanks so much. I will follow you. I hope you can follow me back on those sites as well.

      Sharon

      Delete
  8. Not everything I saw in this collection meets my taste, but you're right: the handbag are really cute! Great post, as always Sharon!
    Kisses
    Oriana

    www.stylexis.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, wonderful pictures!
    Thanks for your comment

    Gizem of

    http://gizemslookbook.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

      Sharon
      http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

      Delete
  10. love the tul skirt
    kisses

    www.thechicmode.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are absolutely great although some of the fashion critics have indicated the tulle skirt with the motorcycle jacket looks like a Halloween costume. That was one of my favorite looks so I am not sure what that says about me.:)

      Sharon

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful and creative post!!:) thanks for sharing it!! I'm following you now... I'd love if you followed me too:))

    www.guesswhoknowsclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Steph. I am following you on GFC and Bloglovin

      Sharon

      Delete
  12. Such a creative post x Love it

    Xo, www.lorenneblau.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna:

      I just felt like doing something out of the ordinary. I am so glad you like it.

      Sharon

      Delete
  13. great post,dear, and yes.I agree with your letter!
    xo Ada
    http://antapal.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anta. I also enjoyed your ballerinas' post.

      Sharon

      Delete
  14. I LOVE the creativity in expressing this collection via a letter!! It surely held my attention lol. Although I can't see myself wearing much from this line, tulle skirts are growing on me. Thanks for sharing!

    Xo Miriam
    http://www.madeincbymorales.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miriam:

      I wanted to switch it up from the usual post. This collection is not everyone's cup of tea. I certainly think it would be a challenge to pull off an entire look. I think the separate pieces will sell best like the tulle skirts and the leather jacket. Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment. I enjoyed your post about the Mexican meal. It made my mouth water.

      Sharon

      Delete
  15. Que diseños más chulos!!
    Bsss
    http://unvestidorconideas.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow♥ I really enjoyed reading your post!:) the collection looks absolutely amazing!

    www.Lorietta.cz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Petra. I am glad you liked it. There are some pieces in the collection that I really like such as the tulle skirts and the handbags.

      Sharon

      Delete
  17. This is a wonderful idea. A great letter and an awesome post! I love Marc Jacobs so much!

    ♥ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great letter you wrote to Marc Jacobs! I really like the tulle fullskirts
    www.fashionphases.com xoxo ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenda. The tulle skirts are my favorite pieces in the collection.

      Sharon

      Delete
  19. A very interesting way to talk about a collection. :) Wonderful idea! As for MJ, I have a love-hate relationship with his work. I love some of his earlier collections for Louis Vuitton, but am not a huge fan of either M for MJ or MJ designs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalia. I appreciate your candid comments. The collection is certainly not to everyone's taste. I really think his design team for MBMJ was aware this would be a controversial collection. They sure are gaining a lot of publicity from this line.

      Sharon

      Delete
  20. Very nice post!!! love it!!!
    kiss Giuly

    www.thefashionmamas.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Giulia:

      I am happy you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for the compliment.

      Sharon

      Delete
  21. Adorable letter! I hope somehow he can eventually read this post :)

    http://strawberryleopard.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. That would be really cool.

      Sharon

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sharon I Like your blog, you writte very good, my blog also is about Ítems and Recipes. Thank you for your comment in my blog. Regards Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Elia. I enjoyed reading your blog post too.

      Sharon

      Delete
  24. Well written letter :) Marc Jacobs did indeed deliver a nice surprise.
    www.ubetterwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nadia. I enjoyed your recent post. Hope you had a great birthday.

      Sharon

      Delete
  25. Hi Sharon! I really enjoyed your post. I think you did well writtin this letter, and I encourage you to really send it! As I could see on the pictures you posted (didn't have the chance to see the runway live) I can hardly differentiate a common thread on the whole collection. it's like he put some pieces from here to there and tried to be liked by everybody rather than only focusing on one or two types of audience...

    Following you, you captivated me by your thoughts about fashion! BTW thank you very much for the comment on my blog :)
    Amanda
    www.somethingfashion.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I might just send it now that you have planted it in my thoughts. :) I agree with your assessment of the collection. I look forward to the outcome: Will it be a commercial success? Or not? This collection was truly thought-provoking for me. Thanks for taking the time to provide me with a detailed comment. I have followed you back on GFC.

      Sharon

      Delete
  26. Replies
    1. Happy Friday, Jessica. I am glad you like the letter.

      Sharon

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. I am glad you took the time to visit and comment. Thanks so much.

      Sharon

      Delete
  28. Hi Sharon, I've been hooked reading your entire letter, how interesting and well written ! I could totally relate to the things you wrote. I am sure this collection will be successful and it is indeed very commercial. I hope I will grab at least one bag ;)...we'll see ! Keep up the excellent work !

    Fashion and Cookies
    Join my Romwe heart pattern shirt Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I admire your work so it means a lot to me that you like it.

      Sharon

      Delete
  29. Love the letter. Well written. If only I could write like that. I'm really envious of you. Great post =)

    Hazel
    www.theskimplelife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the compliment, Hazel.

      Sharon

      Delete
  30. Sharon, excellent letter and post. His collection this season did make a very strong statement. I saw a few jackets that I could put my own particular spin on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. He received some criticism for the collection but I think it's only because it's such a departure from the norm. It will be interesting to follow his new design team.

      Sharon

      Delete
  31. GRAN BEL POST, BUON INIZIO SETTIMANA (; REB, XOXO.

    *HO APPENA PUBBLICATO UN POST SUL MIO BLOG,
    FAMMI SAPERE COSA NE PENSI, ECCOTI IL LINK:
    http://www.toprebel.com/2014/03/double-r.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks, Rebecca. I am going to visit your blog right now.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovin this! great blog!

    Alica.
    www.hoodswagaa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alicia. I am happy that you enjoyed reading it.

      Sharon

      Delete
  34. Cute Letter to Mr. Jacobs… I love the direction that Luella Bartley and Katie Hillier have taken the collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. They seem to have their finger on the pulse of street style. It will be interesting to see what inspires them next.

      Sharon

      Delete