Pages

Monday, December 23, 2013

Dress Pants

Photo Courtesy of The Cut



I am sure after seeing the title of this post you are thinking, oh great, she decided to blog about a well-designed pair of trousers. Not so. In fact, I have decided that 2013 may be the year that the term dress pants took on a whole new meaning. The reason: Since I saw the first dress and pants combo on the spring runway I just wanted to yell, “Oh no, they didn’t! Then came the denial phase when I almost convinced myself that this trend was going to die a swift death. Unfortunately, it did not. It continued to rear its ugly head throughout the year. This pairing quite frankly makes me go, hmm. I don’t understand the appeal.

Photo Courtesy of Vogue



Pairing dresses with pants is a particular trend I have wanted to write about for awhile now because of the utter boldness of this combination of which I am not a fan. I was looking forward to saying goodbye to this trend as the end of 2013 looms. Unfortunately, based on my view of a few Pre-Fall 2014 designer collections this trend is not going anywhere anytime soon. Women with a certain level of charisma, in my opinion, can actually make this trend palatable. Included on the short list of fashion-forward style leaders I can envision hitting this trend out of the park are Tilda Swinton and Chloe Sevigny. I will also include musician Janelle Monae on my list. If she can rock mens' suits so effortlessly and look glamorous, she would probably look just as fabulous wearing a dress over pants. Leggy models, of course, can carry off this trend with panache. Individuals whom are not necessarily associated with bold fashion trends, however, also jumped on this bandwagon with, in my opinion, mixed results.  I admire their fearlessness when it comes to fashion but I am not that fearless.

Photo Courtesy of FabSugar

I have a theory about the reason so many fashionistas tried this trend on for size this year. The cold weather made them do it. That’s right. It’s the cold weather defense. What better way to keep your legs warm in your favorite dress than a pair of trousers. Pairing your dress with pants also has a statement factor that pairing a dress with tights does not.

Here a few suggestions if you are brave enough to try the dress pants trend:
  •  A dress with a short hemline will pair best with pants if you are petite. A long dress with pants can overwhelm your stature.
  •  A flowy dress is best paired with fitted pants such as skinny jeans or leather leggings.A long dress will match best with pants with a shorter hemline. Cropped or cuffed pants pair best with dresses.
  • Refrain from matching a dress in a heavy fabric to pants in a heavy fabric. This unfortunate pairing could result a bulky look which is not good since many of us are already trying to avoid looking too bulky in our winter garb.

I look forward to you response concerning this trend.


I am a Keaton Row Personal Stylist. As result, I provide free personal styling services. Please view my Lookbooks at http://www.keatonrow.com and contact me by e-mail at sharon_pate@att.net if you are interested in my service.

I hope you check out my latest Lookbook which contains budget-friendly cocktail attire and accessories and provide feedback: Cocktail Hour 

Until next time, thanks for visiting my blog. Be Stylish!

25 comments:

  1. Sharon,
    it's Angie from Reasons to Dress, thought I would pop by to see what your blog was like and I am SO HAPPY I DID! Your blog is fantastic!!

    I also noticed this skirt over pants trend a few months ago...and I totally agree with you...the cold made them do it! This is a trend for Canadians who wish they could wear cute dresses and skirts, but since it snows well into April they can't! I couldn't agree more with your observations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    First off, your blog is great. I am loving your blog and can't wait to see more from it.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog, Twist & Sprinkle. For some reason I can't comment back right now so I just wanted to stop by and tell you thank you for your kind and encouraging words. They mean a lot to me.

    I can't wait to connect with you more! xxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Wow!! So beautiful place and suite are this? I loved it so much and also give a lots of pleasures to me when I just see it in your blog. I never forget this blog ever who give me an awesome and out standing pictures. Wedding Stockings are more attractive and seemed to be good looking when someone wears it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Merry Christmas!
    Oriana xxx

    www.stylexis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sets, love Emma's dress!
    Have a very fashionable Christmas !
    http://pandamone.blogspot.com/2013/12/slavic-soul.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas!!
    Love tne Emmas's dress :)
    Kisses
    http://unachicasual.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog... Following you already... Hope you follow back if you haven't..

    http://asweetwoorld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!
    Yes, I would love to follow each other via GFC! Now following you! :)

    The Style Storm
    <3, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this combination, chic and stylish with a modern edge!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon,
    Such a great post on the dress over pants look and I would love to try it one day!
    www.everestsays.com

    Cheers,
    Everest

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post!!
    xo ada
    http://antapal.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your post!!! Xx

      http://betweenmyclothes.blogspot.com

      Delete
  12. I think this trend could pass by only few exceptions. First, to wear trousers with high-low hemline dress. Second, to wear trousers if the dress is considered to be too short. And third, the material of the dress and trousers should be preferably the same. And again, you can pull this look only if it suits you, no matter the rules. So, I might not be very enthusiastic about this trend as well since there are so little options.
    p.s. I follow back on bloglovin #6. xx

    Maja
    http://modern-muffin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me gusta tb esa opción cómoda y calentita.
    Bss
    http://unvestidorconideas.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome post! Im loving Emma's dress. Merry Christmas!

    http://itsthekyliebabii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Post!! I don't know if I can pull off this look but this cold weather can make you layer in a weird way....lol!! missymayification.blogspot. co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this trend!
    Mafalda ❤
    www.mafaldadotzero.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post. Right now I dunno what to think about the new trend. Do I like it? Will I like it? Honestly I haven't the faintest idea as of now.
    Yeah I can believe it sweetie. Had the same probs, lol, but then all of a sudden (while shopping grocery can you believe it) I knew what I'm gonna wear to the Party.
    BTW Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Please let me know on my blog so I can follow back. Thank you.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that little black dress Emma is wearing! I wouldn't think to pair it with pants but it looks cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting :)

    -Erica
    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the dress over pants look!! I wish I were a little taller though since I think it's a great look for tall girls. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    www.ruzinscloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this kind of dress :D

    http://thefashionshadowbygiulia.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super blog :) Do you want to follow each other?
    Beauty Supply

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the sweet comment. These ladies look fab!
    Effortlesslady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like this combination but only if the dress is a bit shorter! ps: great blog!

    x Karen
    http://dressinginlabels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..
    wedding suits for men
    designer wedding suits for men

    ReplyDelete